It’s like that chore you know you have to do, but you just don’t want to do it. But having said that, I realize it is very important, and I just need to make the time to finish it!
Collect copies of all of most critical documents and place them in a waterproof envelope like the one in the picture. Then you can add them to your bug-out bag. While you’re at it, it’d be smart to make a third set for your safe or safety deposit box.
Another idea is to scan your papers into your computer, and save them on a flash drive Then you can store the flash drive in a water proof container or envelope. Of course, that assumes that you’ll have a working computer to use if anything happens. You can always save your documents on paper and on flash drive for back up. It’s always best to have a back up to your back up.
What should you copy?
- Birth Certificates
- Marriage Certificate
- Drivers Licenses
- Insurance paperwork – home, car, umbrella, business, and life policies
- Medical/Health insurance
- Medical prescriptions with prescription number, issuing doctor and pharmacy listed
- Doctor’s contact information
- Credit card statements with account numbers
- Bank Statements with account numbers
- Social Security Cards
- The deed to your home
- Your mortgage information
- Car titles
- Immunization records
- Baptism records
- A home inventory
- Any appraisals you have for personal items
- Investments – stock certificates, bonds, CD’s etc.
- Include some extra cash as well if you can
- Important contact phone numbers
Also, throw in an extra set of keys to your house and cars, and bug-out location (if you have one), safe and safety deposit box.
I think I’m going to just set aside a few hours and get this checked off my list. How about you?